Monday, May 16, 2011

Jiu Jitsu University

So after plowing through Eddie Bravo's Jiu Jitsu Unleashed, I decided although these were all great techniques, it was perhaps better for me to focus on the fundamentals. So I have located a copy of Jiu Jitsu University , a weighty tome of Jiu Jitsu goodness authored by Saulo Ribeiro and Kevin Howell. This book is divided into several sections, each based on a belt colour and focusing on a different aspect of the game. The author starts off with White belt- Survival, and describes many useful survival techniques, ideal for the new white belt, and progresses on to Blue Belt- Escapes, another handy tool for the player who finds themselves on the bottom alot, (this is me :) ).
Although it is difficult to learn from a book and there is no substitute for hands on instruction, it is useful to be thinking and working on some of these techniques when outside the gym. I have personally been concentrating on some survival positions for the mount and back control, and put them into play and found myself lasting a bit longer. Next time -- "Escapes"!

No comments:

Post a Comment